Learn About Red Wolves
Red Wolf Curriculum for Teachers/Informal Educators
Far Traveler: A Teacher’s Companion to Red Wolf Recovery, Second Edition (2008), United States Fish and Wildlife Service Red Wolf Recovery Team and the Red Wolf Coalition. Offers a variety of interactive activities and lessons for grades K-10. Curriculum materials integrate critical thinking skills, reading comprehension, and vocabulary development into lessons about the red wolf. You may download Far Traveler in PDF format by clicking this Far Traveler link. If you would prefer to receive a paper copy of this curriculum, please contact the Red Wolf Coalition at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 252-796-5600.
International Wolf magazine – Special Red Wolf Edition – Winter 2007
You may download the International Wolf Center's special issue The Red Wolf. If you would prefer to receive a paper copy of this publication, please email email@example.com or call 252-796-5600.
Books About the Red Wolf
- Beeland, T. Delene (2013). The Secret World of Red Wolves (University of North Carolina Press).
- DeBlieu, Jan (1993). Meant to Be Wild: The Struggle to Save Endangered Species Through Captive Breeding (Fulcrum Publishing).
- Camuto, Christopher (1997). Another Country: Journeying Toward the Cherokee Mountains (Henry Holt).
- Goldish, Meish (2009). Red Wolves – And Then There Were (Almost) None. (Bearport Publishing).
- Grooms, Steve (Third Edition, 2005). Return of the Wolf. "The Enigmatic Red Wolf," Chapter 8 (NovaVista).
- Harrington, Fred H. (2002). The Red Wolf (PowerKids Press).
- Hoagland, Edward (Essays, 2003). Hoagland on Nature, "Lament the Red Wolf" (The Lyons Press).
- Imbriaco, Alison (2008). The Red Wolf: Help Save This Endangered Species! (Enslow Publishers, Inc.).
- Patent, Dorothy Hinshaw (1990). Gray Wolf, Red Wolf (Clarion Books).
- Mech, L. David and Luigi Boitani, Editors (2003). "Restoration of the Red Wolf" by Michael K. Phillips, V. Gary Henry and Brian T. Kelly,Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation, Chapter 11 (University of Chicago Press).
- Nowak, Ronald M. (2002). "The Original Status of Wolves in Eastern North America." Southeastern Naturalist, Volume 1, Number 2, 2002 (Allen Press).
- Silverstein, Alvin, Virginia Silverstein and Robert Silverstein (1994). The Red Wolf (Millbrook Press).
- Smith, Roland (1996). Journey of the Red Wolf (Cobblehill Books).
- Recovering a Species – The Red Wolf. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. For information about obtaining this DVD, please contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
On the Web
The sources below are recommended for accurate information about red wolves. Check them out!